domingo, 11 de julho de 2010

Score: 25

Well, it took time, but here it is: the 25th post on Back To The ROFL.

"Captain Obvious strikes again"

It took more than half a year at an average of around 700 words per post to reach this goal, which is why I haven't waited 'till the 100 mark to celebrate. Also, judging by the constant delays and whatnot, HAD I waited 'till the 100 mark to celebrate, it would have been when I will have rediscovered "that blog I used to do as a teen... Back To The ROFL I think it was called" at the age of 71.

Anyway, before anything else, I would like to thank all the people who ever read this blog for their support because, believe it or not, it really does matter, and I'd be really grateful if you gave me your opinion on my blog (hate mail is always welcome). The feedback will really help me. Also, whatever album covers you'd like me to flame about, just tell me about it between the death threats.

Now, there are loads upon loads of candidates for appearing on Back To The ROFL, most of them encompassed within genres that include the root word "grind" somewhere. After all, a band whose music boasts song titles such as "Song Titles Are Fucking Stupid", "Shut Up Paul" or "I Lit Your Baby On Fire" is just begging to have itself made fun of...

"Come on! You know you want to."

Which is precisely why this entry will talk about Dream Theater's Score: X(middle thing)X 20th Anniversary World Tour Live with The Octavarium Orchestra, also known as Score.


Had I not owned this album, I would have simply said something like "Now that's WAAAY
too long for an album title, specially when it can be made so short", mentioned something about DT being pretentious and called it a day, but I can't because there is more to come on the inside of the album.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, this album is a three disk digipak. After fiddling with the pak so as not to have the CDs fall out of their slots while I try to place it on the scanner (and failing miserably) for a few hours, I have managed to scan the insides, and this is what they look like:

You have the mandatory thanks to alls and list of crew members,...

"Also, since we have an orchestra this time around, the background is, obviously, made to appeal to 65 year-olds who want to look posh"

... and you have one panoramic photo of all the musicians on stage spread amongst two pages.




This means that it is rather strange that Todd Kaplan claims that all photos in the album are of his courtesy. "All", like in "more than one".


But even if, as Todd claims, he has done ALL photos, he really shouldn't be too proud of it. I mean, this is a Dream Theater album, meaning that you should NOT make sure that the photo focuses on everything but the faces of the members of Dream Theater...,






Or, in the case that you can actually make out some facial features, make sure that they do not translate to "I hate myself and want to die"




Actually, you do have to give Kaplan credit for all the effort put into making Guy Who's Identity Will Be Kept Secret and Ms. Vulva so crystal clear in the picture.




On the other hand, that "all" in "All photos" may mean that Todd Kaplan also took the pictures of James LaBrie singing into a ghost microphone...,


... John Petrucci making the "jizzing pants" pose so popular among respected guitarists...,


... Jordan Rudess having a nap (probably while he plays a super complex solo)...,


... John Myung about to fall off the stage after a sprint looking at the camera...


... and Mike Portnoy opening his mouth to eat the drum kit.


All of which appear on the front cover.


Actually, on the other hand, Todd Kaplan has made an excellent job! To prove it, I just ask you to look at the rest of the artwork. Without the members of the band looking completely ridiculous on this release, the digipak would have been the visual equivalent of a deadly dose of Valium, so I have to thank TeeKay for saving my life.

Thank you.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário